Hamilton police discover sawed-off shotgun during vehicle search
Published February 13, 2023 at 1:19 pm
Routine enforcement after a reported impaired driver led to the discovery of a sawed-off shotgun, according to the Hamilton Police Service.
Officers were notified of a possible impaired driver Sunday morning at around 5 a.m. Police located the suspected vehicle in the Barton St. and Sanford Ave. area.
The 37-year-old driver was arrested for impaired driving, and a subsequent search of his vehicle by police uncovered a sawed-off shotgun, leading to additional charges.
“Thank you to the members of the community that recognized the signs of an impaired driver and took action to report it to police,” issued Hamilton Police. “By doing so, you helped stop a possible collision that could have injured or even killed someone.”
Hamilton Police did not release the suspect’s name.
He is charged with the following:
- Operation of a Motor Vehicle While Impaired by Drug
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon
- Occupant of a Motor Vehicle Knowing There was a Firearm
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm
- Fail to Comply with a Probation Order x2