Hamilton manufacturer shutting down operations due to outbreak
In an attempt to get a COVID-19 outbreak under control, Hamilton’s National Steel Car will voluntarily shut down its operations for two weeks.
In a statement today (April 23), the city said the manufacturing company currently has 18 cases in multiple areas of the facility — indicative of a facility-wide outbreak.
“Public Health Services recommended National Steel Car shut down operations as a necessary measure to get this outbreak under control,” according to the city.
“National Steel Car is cooperating with the outbreak investigation and infection prevention and control measures being recommended and undertaken in order to protect the health and safety of their staff, their families and the community.”
The company employs approximately 2,000 people, according to its website.
“We have become aware that several members of our team have tested positive for COVID-19,” said National Steel Car, adding that the shutdown will be done out of an abundance of caution and in consultation with Public Health.
“All administrative and engineering functions will continue on-site, adhering to our strict COVID-19 protocols.”
The city says it will continue to monitor Hamilton’s local situation regarding COVID-19 and variants within the community.
Photo courtesy National Steel Car Facebook page
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak affecting staff members at Mississauga Hospital
- Major outbreak declared at Hamilton apartment building after 55 total COVID-19 cases reported
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at long-term care home in Hamilton
- All employees must now be tested at Canada Post facility in Mississauga as COVID-19 outbreak grows
- Canada-wide warrant issued for man with 'STEEL CITY' tattoo who frequents Hamilton
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- No criminal circumstances in death of Brampton child, say police
- Popular Korean-style hotdogs joint coming to Mississauga