Hamilton man accused of fleeing police into oncoming traffic before vehicle catches fire
A 29-year-old Hamilton man was arrested Monday night (Mar. 29) and charged with Dangerous Driving after allegedly fleeing from police and driving into oncoming traffic before his vehicle caught fire.
Police were patrolling Highway 6 North when they say a white Volkswagon was observed by an officer travelling “at a high rate of speed” at around 8:30 p.m.
The vehicle was clocked at 124 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.
Police say the officer attempted to stop the vehicle by activating his emergency lights; however, the vehicle allegedly continued on “at a high rate of speed” and went over a hill before veering into oncoming traffic lanes.
The vehicle then reportedly lost control before coming to rest in the ditch on the east side of Highway 6 North.
When officers arrived on the scene the vehicle was on fire and the driver had fled the vehicle, according to police.
A K9 officer was called to the scene as part of the search efforts.
Police say the driver was eventually located hiding in the field nearby and was arrested and transported to hospital for his injuries and is expected to recover.
- Flight from Peace Officer
- Dangerous Operation
- Fail to Remain
- G1 Driver Unaccompanied
- Plates Not Authorized
- Fail to Surrender Insurance card
- Possession Schedule 1 - Methamphetamine
- Fail to Comply Release Order x 2
- Mississauga man charged after allegedly fleeing from police and driving on the wrong side of the highway
- Mississauga Man Charged After Allegedly Hitting and Dragging Police Officer with Vehicle
- Police investigating vehicle fire in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga residents charged after police officer dragged by vehicle
- Suspect Vehicle Located, Driver Missing After Officer Injured in Crash This Morning
- Boy dies after suffering medical episode while playing basketball in Milton
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Large Mississauga complex used by Bell sold in billion dollar deal
- You will now be rewarded for licencing your pet in Hamilton
- Mississauga man facing charges after 7-month-old puppy dragged beside car