Hamilton garbage collection could be delayed to next week due to weather
Published February 16, 2021 at 12:58 pm
The heavy snowfall in Hamilton is causing some delays to waste collection and the City is warning residents that their collection might be delayed until next week.
“Waste and recycling collection will continue today,” a City press release issued Tuesday afternoon (Feb. 16) said.
“However, if waste is not picked up today by 6 p.m. the City is asking that residents hold back their waste until their next regularly scheduled collection day.”
That means, due to the Family Day closure, the next regularly scheduled collection day for impacted residents will fall on Monday, February 22, 2021.
For Hamilton residents who do not receive waste pick-up Tuesday, the bag limit for waste will be increased to two bags before requiring trash tags.
Earlier in the day, the City of Hamilton Tweeted that street clearing was being impacted by high winds and the continued heavy snow conditions throughout the City.
#HamOntSnow Update: Crews are currently working on the City’s Priority 1 and 2 roads, heavy snow and high winds are creating some challenges on the clearing operations this morning.
— City of Hamilton (@cityofhamilton) February 16, 2021
To help residents and collection workers deal with the snow and high winds expected over the course of the remaining winter season, the City offers the following tips for securing waste and containers in winter weather conditions:
- Place heaviest recycling items on the top of the blue box to weigh down the lighter items
- Stand up paper or cardboard in the blue box instead of laying it flat
- If snow or heavy winds are expected overnight, wait until 7 am to place green cart, blue boxes and garbage at the curb
- Keep recyclables below the rim of the blue box
- Don’t use a garbage bin – use a bag instead so the container does not blow around once emptied
- Clear a spot for your blue boxes, green bin, and garbage that is free of snow and easy for collectors to see
- Don’t place your waste containers on top of or behind snowbanks
- Place your waste containers at the left side at the end of your driveway (facing the street). If you do not have a driveway, place waste containers on the boulevard closest to the curb. If there is no boulevard, place containers on the left side at the end of your walkway (facing the street)