Hamilton election results delayed due to late openings at voting locations
Published October 24, 2022 at 7:10 pm
The late openings of more than a dozen voting locations have delayed the expected release of Hamilton’s municipal elections election results.
Voting locations are required to be open for a ten-hour window on voting day, typically from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. However 13 locations remained closed by 10 a.m. with some opening more than an hour late.
Hamilton City Clerk Andrea Holland is in charge of administering the election. When her office learned about the delayed opening, she called an emergency under her authority in the Municipal Act.
The act gives Holland fairly broad authority to extend the voting location hours across the city. The emergency declaration will remain in effect until all polling stations are closed.
The list of affected polling locations includes;
- Ward 3 – Dream Centre – 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Ward 6 – Richard Beasley Elementary School until 8:25 p.m.
- Ward 6 – Salvation Army Mountain Citadel until 8:15 p.m.
- Ward 6 – Huntington Park Recreation Centre until 8:05 p.m.
- Ward 7 – Sackville Hill Senior Centre until 8:13 p.m.
- Ward 7 – Lawfield Arena until 8:10 p.m.
- Ward 8 – Harmony Baptist Church until 8:06 p.m.
- Ward 9 – St. Paul’s until 8:10 p.m.
- Ward 12 – Royal Canadian Legion until 9:20 p.m.
- Ward 13 – Sir William Osler until 8:15 p.m.
- Ward 13 – Dundas Lions Memorial until 8:07 p.m.
- Ward 13- Dundas Valley Secondary School until 8:45
Voters will be able to vote as long as they are in line by the time the voting locations close. While most jurisdictions will start hearing results shortly after 8 p.m, Hamiltonians won’t see updates for almost another hour and a half.
This isn’t the first controversy to come from Holland’s office of late. Last week the City Clerk’s office leaked the email addresses of hundreds of voters registered to vote by mail. The city did not specify how many if any of these addresses included voters’ names.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising