Hamilton city councillor resigning ‘effective immediately’ from multiple committees
A Hamilton city councillor announced today that he'll immediately resign from multiple committees in light of a recent conversation in which he shared "unfounded rumours."
Ward 9 councillor Brad Clark says a private call he had with one of his constituents was recorded without his knowledge and recently shared on social media.
"The unfounded rumours and inferences that I made on this private call were just that, unfounded," Clark said.
"My frustration with the situation in question and my response was completely out of character and I should not have been discussing such baseless rumours with anyone."
Clark said he will resign as Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee, Vice-Chair of the Emergency and Community Services Committee, and Chair of the Development Charge Stakeholders Sub-Committee.
At this time, he has not indicated any intention to resign from city council.
"I offer my most sincere and unequivocal apologies to our dedicated, hardworking and honest city staff who have my utmost respect," he added.
Clark also apologized to Mayor Fred Eisenberger, city council, and his constituents for what he said was an "unacceptable response," and says he's filed a request with the integrity commissioner to investigate this matter as soon as possible.
- City Decides Whether or Not Canadian Citizenship is Necessary to Sit on a Committee
- Former City Council Candidate Files Complaint Against Mississauga Councillor
- Mississauga Councillor Ousted as Peel Police Board Chair
- City of Mississauga To Host Tribute to Councillor Jim Tovey
- Mississauga Councillor Announces Candidacy For Peel Regional Chair
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Region of Peel calls flyer asking Mississauga parents to completely isolate their COVID-positive children a “mistake”
- Special weather statement in effect for Mississauga and Brampton