Habitat for Humanity experiences third burglary since September
Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga (Habitat HM), which is currently working on several affordable housing projects for vulnerable and lower-income residents in the Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Burlington, Milton, and Halton Hills areas, has experienced its third burglary in the last 45 days.
The most recent burglary occurred at the Burlington location on Friday night. The thieves managed to hop the fence and enter the compound, stealing several tools and equipment, which was discovered early Saturday morning.
The discovery came just one day after the previous burglary wherein donation trucks had been stripped of tools and supplies that had been donated to the charity by Milwaukee Tool and at total of $5,000 worth of equipment was stolen.
The non-profit organization largely depends on donations to operate, and these thefts have a significant, detrimental impact on the charity's ability to continue the program.
Habitat HM is currently working on its largest build project to date, an 18-townhome community located in Burlington.
“The project will supply 18 families with affordable housing where their children can grow up together in a safe and supportive environment,” Habitat for Humanity said in a statement.
The organization is also constructing an affordable housing development on Merritt Ave. in Malton in Mississauga.
The charity is appealing to the community for support and hoping for donations of new or gently used tools that can help the organization rebuild its losses.
- Walmart opens brand new facility in Mississauga
- VIDEO: aftermath of fatal crash in Mississauga
- A look at one of the most in-demand neighbourhoods in Mississauga
- Here's what you need to know about the new regulations for airlines
- Popular gourmet American doughnut shop opening first Ontario location in Mississauga
- Over $5,000 worth of equipment stolen from Habitat for Humanity
- Habitat for Humanity receives support from community after string of thefts
- Brand New Affordable Housing Development Coming to Mississauga
- Here's Why This Mississauga Neighbourhood is Getting Free Home Renovations
- New affordable housing units coming to Mississauga soon