Government Funding More Programs For Disabled Residents in Mississauga
Residents in Mississauga with disabilities are getting more opportunities to stay active and build confidence.
The provincial government is giving $4.5 million in funding to Variety Village for facility repairs, as well as recreational and competitive adaptive sports programs.
“Our government believes every person deserves the opportunity to enjoy sport at all levels and all abilities,” said Lisa MacLeod, the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport. “Variety Village does important work promoting inclusion and accessibility in sport and recreation, which is why we’re proud to provide them support to continue delivering physical activity and sports programs.”
The funding will include $2.5 million in over the next year for facility repairs, as well as $2 million over the next two years to help deliver recreational and competitive adaptive sports programs.
Some of the programs available include aquatics, competitive sports, and introducing children with disabilities to parasports through education and outreach.
Variety Village is a fitness, sports and life-skills facility that provides programming for people of all abilities, including those with disabilities.
The government has invested over $18 million in funding to Variety Village since 2002.
“The children and families that are served by Variety’s programming are very grateful for this historic investment of funding,” said Karen Stintz, the President and CEO of Variety Village. “For over 70 years, Variety Village has been breaking down barriers for children with a disability and their families. This announcement is significant because it will mean the sustainability of the facility for the next 20 years. This is a government that understands the importance of investing in families and delivered on that commitment.”
Variety Village also has the biggest inclusive summer camp program in Ontario, with around 2,000 children attending last year.
What do you think of these programs that are being funded?
- Ontario government providing funding for mental health programs in Mississauga
- New Funding Option Available for Families of Children with Autism
- Ford Government Funding Local Festivals And Events After Announcing Municipality Tourism Cuts
- Canadian Government Funding Over $3 Million For People With Autism
- New Sports Dome and Facility Coming to Mississauga
- Outdoor water use advisory in effect for Mississauga
- Another Food Basics employee in Mississauga tests positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga woman celebrating Lotto win
- Arrest made after man allegedly tied used condoms to cars in Mississauga
- Mississauga experiences biggest spike in housing prices in Canada so far this year: survey