GoFundMe started for Mississauga nurse who died from COVID-19
On Wednesday (January 6), SEIU Healthcare, a union that represents more than 60,000 frontline workers in Canada, confirmed 57-year-old Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) Maureen Ambersley had died of COVID-19.
Ambersley worked at the Extendicare nursing home in Mississauga, and information from Peel Public Health’s website indicates that Extendicare has been in outbreak since Dec. 18, 2020, with 14 resident cases and 13 staff cases.
Not long after her passing was announced, a GoFundMe was started to help support Ambersley's family after her unexpected passing.
"Ambersley was a mother, sister, grandmother, and overall a wonderful motherly figure to many. She was a very caring, loving, and understanding person. She was known as someone who loved helping as much as she can," read a statement on the GoFundMe page.
"Ambersley was funny, entertaining, smart, and loved children. She loved to bake, cook and knit for her family and friends," the statement continued.
Ambersley was an RPN for more than 16 years, and, according to the union, she is the fourth member of SEIU Healthcare to die during the pandemic.
At the time of publication, the GoFundMe has raised more than $1,500 for her family.
Those who wish to donate can find the link here.
- GoFundMe campaign for Mississauga nurse who died of COVID-19 surpasses $20,000 goal
- Nurse who worked in long-term care home in Mississauga dies of COVID-19
- Nurse who worked at Trillium Health Partners in Mississauga dies of COVID-19
- GoFundMe page created for man who died trying to save cousins
- GoFundMe page set up for children of a woman who was murdered in Mississauga
- 401 closed as Mississauga woman killed in early morning collision
- Dump truck protest rolls onto highways in Mississauga and Brampton
- City of Mississauga planning controlled burn of portion of popular park this weekend
- Alarming new record of COVID-19 cases set today in Mississauga and Brampton
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada