Garbage Bins Too Big? Get Smaller Ones!
Are your garbage and recycling bins too big for you? Or perhaps not big enough?
If so, you're in luck! You can exchange your gargantuan receptacles free of charge this month and this month only. According to a recent article in the Mississauga News, residents can exchange either of their carts for smaller or larger sizes until April 30. Organic carts cannot be exchanged, as they are only available in one size.
If you need to free up more space in your garage or you've realized that you or your family produce vast and overflowing waste that cannot be contained by your modest bins, you can get the exchange process started by submitting a request here.
You can only submit one free request to change your cart size, so if you want to change both bins, please remember to change them at the same time. Starting May 1, you will have to pay a $25 fee (per cart) to change the size of your bin.
It might take up to six weeks to exchange your carts, so be patient.
As to how the process will work, Peel Region Waste Management offers the following instructions:
- Use your cart normally until it is exchanged.
- Your cart will be exchanged on the day after your regular collection day. Garbage carts will be exchanged the day after your garbage collection day, and recycling carts will be exchanged the day after your recycling collection day.
- Leave your empty cart at the curb, or in a location that is visible and accessible.
- If your cart is not exchanged by 8:00 p.m. the day after your collection day, use it for two more weeks.
- On your next collection day, put your cart out for collection again. Repeat these steps until your cart is exchanged.
Garbage and recycling carts will be exchanged separately, in different weeks.
Click here to learn more about waste collection.
- A Change is Coming to Waste and Recycling Collection in Mississauga Very Soon
- Important Garbage Collection Information for Mississauga Residents
- Important Garbage Collection Information for Mississauga
- Important Garbage Collection News for Mississauga
- Some Permanent Changes Coming to Garbage Collection in Mississauga