Free Winter Activities to Enjoy in Mississauga
Well, it's official—winter has come and it kicked off with a bang.
While few people look forward to snow and cold, winter can be a lot of fun and fortunately for Mississauga residents, there are a ton of free activities to take advantage of.
In terms of activities, the city offers a lot in the way of natural ice rinks. While you no doubt know you can skate at Celebration Square, you might not have known that you can glide along the ice at Camden Park, Cherry Hill, Sherwood Green Park and more. In fact, you might be surprised to learn you can skate on a whopping 30+ natural rinks.
If you want to toboggan, there are a few good areas that are perfect for a thrill-packed slide down a snowy hall (and you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it, no one is ever too old to toboggan).
The top three toboggan destinations include Birchwood Park, Brookmede Park and Jack Darling Park.
If you're looking for something a little more physically challenging (perhaps you've made it your New Year's resolution to move around more or you're just naturally adventurous and fit), you might want to check out the city's cross country skiing and snowshoeing trails.
Some top trails include:
- Culham Trail (Erindale Park, Riverwood, Streetsville Memorial
- Park, River Grove)
- Levi Creek Trail (Old Creditview Rd. to Financial Dr.)
- Glassford Trail (Old Creditview Rd. along old Derry Rd.
- through Meadowvale Conservation Park)
- Fletcher’s Creek Trail (between Second Line and Courtney Park Dr.)
- Etobicoke Creek Trail (between Burnhamthorpe Rd. and Hwy. 401)
- Derry Greenway (between Goreway Dr. and Airport Rd.)
- Wildwood Park (at Goreway Dr. and Derry Rd.)
- Credit Meadows (east of Creditview Rd. at Kenninghall Cres.)
- Sawmill Valley Trail (between Mississauga Rd. and Erin Mills Pkwy.)
You can learn a little more about winter activities here.
So, there you have—winter (though cold and filled with days beset by poor driving conditions) can indeed be fun. You just have to know where to go to make the best of the cold weather.