Free Bicycle Helmets Coming to Kids in Mississauga
Bicycle safety is important, which is why a new safety program in Peel will help some Mississauga kids keep their noggins protected while biking.
The program, called Helmets on Kids, aims to bring free helmets to nearly 500 grade 3 and 4 students from ten public schools in Mississauga and Brampton.
"This program initiative helps students receive helmets who may not otherwise be able to acquire one," says Tara Regota, school support officer at the Peel school board.
The list of schools set to benefit from the program this year are:
- Brookmede Public School
- Fairview Public School
- Silver Creek Public School
- Springfield Public School
- Birchbank Public School
- Eastbourne Drive Public School
- Harold F. Loughin Public School
- Morton Way Public School
- Mountain Ash Public School
- Ridgeview Public School
As the program aims to educate and bring awareness on proper bicycle helmet use, each participating school will attend a safety assembly presented by Peel Regional Police and Peel Children's Safety Village staff.
Helmets on Kids is a joint venture of the Brain Injury Association of Peel and Halton, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, the Peel Children's Safety Village, Peel Regional Police, and the Peel District School Board.
"We're grateful for the tremendous efforts of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association who have allowed us to provide free helmets to students in need," Regota says.
The program will officially launch Thursday morning (June 14) at Morton Way Public School.
- Peel public health continues taking safety measures amid COVID-19 concerns
- Peel District School Board Concerned About New Private School Lobbying Group
- Peel District School Board provides update on when and how Mississauga students will return to school
- COVID-19 case reported at Mississauga public school
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- New rules regarding children in leash-free zones and smoking in parks are now in effect in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: New platform and pavilion now open at a Mississauga GO Station
- House of the Week: $3.8 mil Sheridan home luxurious features
- Staff member tests positive for COVID-19 at Mississauga retirement home
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of September 21 to 26