Four Metrolinx employees test positive for COVID-19
Four Metrolinx employees have recently tested positive for COVID-19, according to a new blog posted by the transit agency.
Anne Marie Aikins, senior manager of media with the company, wrote that the employees tested positive within the past two weeks.
"The affected staff members were either working from home or consistently wore their face coverings and kept their distance while at work and are now recovering at home," Aikins said.
Aikins said that out of over 4,300 Metrolinx employees, 49 have now tested positive for COVID-19.
"To date, there have been no outbreaks on our system as our safety protocols have helped limit - and stay ahead - of the spread of the virus."
Aikins said that while GO Transit and UP Express are operating, riders are reminded to travel for essential purposes only. This year, Metrolinx is not providing free transit service nor additional late-night service in honour of New Year’s Eve.
"Please keep your celebrations to your household only and party with those you live with, call a friend or watch a celebration online such as the CN Tower light show," Aikins said.
"A vaccine is now a reality giving hope of returning to normal sometime in 2021, but we are not there quite yet. To help us get there, it is critically important to not let down your guard, and recommit to the basics from public health," Aikins said, adding that residents should practice physical distancing, wash their hands often, wear masks or face-coverings, download the COVID Alert app and stay home as much as possible (and always when feeling ill).
- GO Transit operator makes masks mandatory across regional transit system
- GO Station employee dies from complications related to COVID-19
- Metrolinx bringing $10 Sunday Funday back this March
- Face coverings to become mandatory on GO Transit and UP Express
- GO Transit set to reduce service due to drop in ridership
- Drugs found at kids playland as 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Police on scene in Brampton after man found with serious injuries, sources say gunplay suspected
- Fido and Rogers report Canada-wide service disruptions
- Here's where the new Automated Speed Enforcement cameras are in Mississauga