Forget the fireworks at home on Labour Day, Mississauga residents told


Published September 1, 2023 at 12:44 pm

(Photo: City of Mississauga)

For Mississauga residents who want to set off fireworks at home this Labour Day weekend, City officials say they must have a permit to do so.

Otherwise, fireworks displays at people’s homes are not permitted on Labour Day Monday or any other day this weekend.

The reminder comes from City of Mississauga officials, who say people can only set off fireworks on private property without permits on four days of the year: Victoria Day, Canada Day, Lunar New Year and Diwali.

On any other day, people must apply to the City for a fireworks display permit, officials say.

However, if you don’t have a permit already, it’s too late to set off fireworks on the upcoming holiday Monday, or on the Saturday and Sunday of the long weekend. Two weeks’ notice is required.

Instead, City officials suggest “celebrating without fireworks. Try glow sticks, noisemakers or sparklers.”

Additionally, fireworks cannot be used on a public street, park or road without a permit.

Also, “you should only buy fireworks from a licensed retailer,” City officials add.

Those who want to plan a commercial or public fireworks display, on public or private property, require a different permit.

In those cases, various information and fees must be provided to Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services including name of certified fireworks supervisor/pyrotechnician, diagram of site location and letter of consent from property owner (if not owned by the applicant), among other information.

To apply for a permit, or for more information, email [email protected] or call 905-896-5908.

Applications for permits must be sent at least 14 days prior to the event.

Any fireworks complaints related to displays on private property can be addressed by calling 311 within Mississauga.

For complaints related to fireworks on public roadways, call Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311.

For complaints related to fireworks in parks, call 905-615-4060.

Meanwhile, City officials are in the midst of considering changes to fireworks regulations.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising