Ford getting tested for COVID-19 after education minister in contact with case
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is getting tested for COVID-19 today after his education minister learned he had come into contact with someone who had tested positive.
Ford held a joint news conference Tuesday with Stephen Lecce to announce a child-care reopening plan.
Health Minister Christine Elliott also attended that news conference.
A spokeswoman for the premier says both he and Elliott are getting tested today and will not participate in their usual daily news conference.
Ford and Elliott are monitoring themselves for any symptoms.
The premier's office did not say how Lecce came into contact with a positive case.
Ontario is reporting 251 new COVID-19 cases today, and 11 more deaths.
That brings the province to a total of 31,341 cases, including 2,475 deaths and 25,380 resolved cases -- 551 more than the previous day.
The uptick in resolved cases means there are 300 fewer active cases over the previous day, and today marks the first day the percentage of resolved cases in the province is over 80.
Elliott says in a tweet that 59 of today's new cases are related to an outbreak in southwestern Ontario and the "vast majority" of the others are in the Greater Toronto Area.
Most regions of the province outside of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area as well as some border communities are set to enter Stage 2 of reopening on Friday.
The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 continued to steadily decline, from 600 the previous day to 580 today -- the lowest number since early April.
- Ford tests negative for COVID-19; Ontario reports 203 new cases, 12 deaths
- Details of Ontario's second stage of reopening to be unveiled today
- COVID-19: 151 new cases in Ontario as premier looks to limit gatherings to 5 people or less
- Ontario reports over 500 COVID-19 cases in the province, with 6 new cases confirmed in Peel
- Ontario reports 351 new COVID-19 cases, officials say test backlog is clearing
- Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Mississauga
- Police responding to large disturbance after fight breaks out in Mississauga
- Officers searching for male on inflatable tube in river in Mississauga
- Mississauga father celebrating big lotto win
- Armed suspect flees after attempted carjacking in Mississauga