Five years ago today natural gas explosion in Mississauga killed two, rocked neighbourhood
Published June 28, 2021 at 2:52 pm
It was five years ago today that a massive explosion rocked a quiet Mississauga neighbourhood killing two people and damaging nearly 800 houses, condos and apartments.
It was determined that the 4201 Hickory Dr. explosion was the result of a natural gas leak inside a home.
After a lengthy investigation the Office of the Fire Marshal of Ontario determined there were two natural gas supply lines that had been disconnected from the water heater inside the home.
The final investigation found that the explosion was intentional with investigators concluding it was a double suicide by the residents.
The blast could be heard for miles around shaking buildings in the Dixie Rd./Rathburn Rd. E. neighbourhood when it ignited in the late afternoon of June 28, 2016 sending debris along the streets and into backyards of the homes located near the scene.
“This incident on Hickory Drive shook our entire community,” said Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie in recalling the events of that day. “Dozens of residents suffered injuries that day and many were uprooted from their homes and took years to rebuild. I am continuously amazed at the resiliency and strength of our community.”
In its pure state, natural gas is odourless, however an odourant is added to give it a distinctive smell.
Signs of a natural gas leaks include:
- a distinctive rotten egg or sulphur like odour
- hissing, roaring or whistling sound
- visible damage to connections on natural gas appliances or vegetation that is dead or dying for no reason.
If you suspect a natural gas leak act quickly and remain calm. Go outside or leave the area immediately and call the 24-hour emergency number
- Enbridge Gas Service area: 1-866-763-5427
- For former Union Gas service area: 1-877-969-0999
“The collaborative response of partner and community agencies that day and in the years to follow was outstanding and serves as a best practice for other municipalities,” said Deryn Rizzi, Mississauga Fire Chief and Director of Emergency Management. “Thankfully, incidents of this magnitude do not occur frequently but it is important to remember, learn and continue to be prepared as best as possible. Let this day serve as a reminder to review fire safety with your family including making an emergency plan and building an emergency kit.”
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies