Five-year-old child crossing road on bike in Mississauga dies after being struck by vehicle
A five-year-old child has died after being struck by a vehicle trying to cross the road with his bike in Mississauga early this evening.
Peel Regional Police received reports at 5:34 p.m. of a collision that occurred at the intersection of Hurontario St. and Elm Drive in Mississauga involving a young child and a vehicle.
The child was rushed to hospital in critical condition, but would succumb to the injuries he sustained in the collision.
“At this time, I am saddened to say that the five year old child has died as a result of the injuries that they sustained,” Const. Akhil Mooken told reporters at the scene.
“On behalf of Peel Regional Police, we’d like to express our condolences to the family and friends of this child, and to all those who have been affected by this tragic incident.”
The Major Collisions Bureau is currently on the scene of the fatal collision and is investigating what exactly happened.
Police were not able to say if the child was alone at the time, but said they were “attempting to cross the road while on the bicycle.”
Information from the preliminary investigation reveals that the vehicle was travelling northbound on Hurontario Street. It’s unknown, at this time, what the course of travel was for the vehicle when it struck the child.
“I don’t know where exactly on the road they were,” Mooken said of the child. “All I know is that, tragically, they were on the road when they were struck by the vehicle and subsequently was dragged for a period of a short distance, which led to the tragic circumstances where we’re in at this moment.”
Police say the driver of the vehicle remained at the scene and is cooperating with police.
With the area populated with several condo buildings, police are hopeful there are other witnesses.
“That’s why we’re urging them to contact our major collision bureau,” Mooken said. “Let us know what you saw so we can try and figure out what happened here.”
“We are appealing for anyone with any information on this incident, anyone that may have witnessed that has daschcam footage, to contact investigators from our Major Collisions Bureau or to provide information through CrimeStoppers,” he added.
Peel Police have closed Hurontario St. between Burnhamthorpe Rd. and Central Parkway Dr. in Mississauga and expect the roadway to be closed for several hours.
- Child Cyclist Struck by Vehicle in Mississauga
- Young child in life-threatening condition after being struck by vehicle in Mississauga
- Child in life-threatening condition after being struck by vehicle in Mississauga: Police
- Police investigating collision involving child struck by vehicle in Mississauga
- Adult and Child Struck by Vehicle in Mississauga
- Mississauga's 5 ugliest buildings
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after colliding with vehicle in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Canada Post truck rollover leads to major delays on 401 in Mississauga
- Some universities say no to proof of vaccination requirement