Five New Red Light Cameras Coming to Mississauga
Peel Region is adding red-light cameras at five intersections in Mississauga.
There is now a total of 33 locations in the Peel Region that have a red light camera.
According to the Peel website, red light cameras are installed at intersections as a safety measure and have shown to be an effective tool in reducing right-angle collisions.
The cameras aim to remind drivers to slow down and avoid running red lights. The camera takes a picture of the vehicle’s license plate. The ticket is then issued by mail, to the vehicle owner.
Recent statistics show that fatalities and personal injuries resulting from right-angle collisions were reduced by 81.8 per cent at 10 intersections in the direction where the cameras were installed. There was a 44.8 per cent reduction for all collision types at those intersections.
The intersections where the cameras have been added are:
- Derry Road West and Syntex Drive / Syntex Court
- Queensway East and Camilla Road
- Britannia Road West and Grossbeak Drive / Delle Donne Drive
- Britannia Road West and Tillsdown Dr / River Grove Avenue
- Cawthra Road and Atwater Avenue
“Our Vision Zero Road Safety Strategic plan outlines the vision, goals, and action plan to create safer roads, by reducing, and ultimately eliminating, motor vehicle collisions - The Red Light Camera program is a key example of a safety initiative aimed at stopping people from getting hurt or dying in motor vehicle collisions,” said Director of Transportation at the Region of Peel Gary Kocialek.
- Have You Got a Ticket From a Red Light Camera in Mississauga?
- Over a Dozen New Red Light Cameras Coming to Brampton and Mississauga
- You Will Be Ticketed for Doing This at a Red Light Camera in Mississauga
- Niagara Region may install cameras to slow school-zone speeders
- Here's what's happening with road safety in Mississauga
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant