First Buy & Sell Exchange Zone launched in Oakville by Halton Police
Published July 19, 2021 at 4:17 pm
Buying, selling or trading items online in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Halton Hills just got a whole lot safer.
With many people falling victim to robberies, frauds and thefts when attempting to buy or sell something online to unknown people, the Halton Regional Police Service is launching its first Buy and Sell Exchange Zone.
Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the clearly-signed Exchange Zone when making your transaction.
The Exchange Zone is located in the visitor parking lot of HRPS’s 20 Division facility at 95 Oak Walk Drive, Oakville, ON., L6H 0G6. The phone number is 905-825-4777, ext. 2205.
Police ask residents who are unable to arrange a transaction at the Exchange Zone, to consider making them in well-lit, public and popular locations to avoid being a victim of crime.
In the case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Here are some tips to protect yourself during a buy and sell exchange:
- Complete your transaction during daytime hours only.
- Use the buddy system when possible. Bring a family or friend with you, or at the very least, let someone know who you will be meeting, the time, and the location of the exchange.
- To reduce the potential of falling victim to fraud, never complete a buy and sell transaction by mail.
- When meeting in person, always inspect goods you wish to purchase before giving money to the seller.
- Limit the amount of personal information you provide.
- Stop. Pause. Think. If something seems too good to be true, it likely is.
For more information on the Exchange Zone, go to https://www.haltonpolice.ca/en/staying-safe/buy-and-sell-exchange-zone.aspx.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies