Fireworks complaints now accepted online in Mississauga


Published May 20, 2023 at 9:57 am

With the Victoria long weekend officially here, Mississauga residents can now submit complaints through an online form to officials regarding the sale of any illegal or dangerous use of fireworks.

When it comes to fireworks there is a sense of excitement and magic when the colours light up the sky during special events and celebrations.

However, in the past year, the Peel region has seen an alarming number of these fireworks being set off later than the 11 p.m. curfew and on days that aren’t considered a public holiday— causing disturbances to residents.

On Friday (May. 19) the City of Mississauga introduced a new Online Fireworks Complaint form where residents can submit their concerns directly through the City’s website.

Individuals can report fireworks misuse at any time of day or night. Once the complaint has been sent the City’s enforcement staff will respond, (if necessary) which may include an onsite investigation.

Meanwhile The City of Mississauga says its bylaw enforcement staff will actively conduct inspections of licensed vendors, investigating complaints about unlicensed vendors and proactively inspecting for unlicensed vendors.

“Enforcement staff will be responding to fireworks complaints and proactively providing public education to residents on fireworks regulations on May 21 and 22,” City officials add.

As of right now  residents are only allowed to set fireworks off on the following holidays: Victoria Day, Canada Day, Lunar New Year, and Diwali

City officials are also reminding residents of some of the regulations governing the use of fireworks:

  • residents are not permitted to set off fireworks in a street, public property (parks, etc.), a parking lot or any private property that is not their own
  • fireworks on private property may only be set off on the statutory holiday (May 22). If it rains on Victoria Day, residents are permitted to set off fireworks the day after the holiday (May 23)
  • fireworks are only permitted until midnight
  • to use fireworks on private property any other day of the year, residents must obtain a permit from Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services
  • the sale of fireworks in Mississauga requires a licence issued by City of Mississauga bylaw enforcement staff

Visit the City of Mississauga website for more information on making complaints.

To report fireworks located on private property, residents can call the City’s 311 information line.

To file a complaint related to fireworks use on public roadways, call Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3111.

For complaints about use of fireworks in City parks and at schools, call 905-615-4060.

For all other firework enquiries, call Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services at 905-456-5700.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising