Fire call at Brampton high rise leads to kitchen fire safety reminder from firefighters
Published October 4, 2023 at 9:34 am
Firefighters in Brampton are reminding residents to pay attention while in the kitchen following a fire call at a high rise.
Brampton Fire and Emergency Services (BFES) says emergency crews were called to an apartment building in the area of Main Street and Clarence Road in Brampton shortly before 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they found there was no fire but rather someone had been cooking and left their meal unattended.
Firefighters were able to get the situation under control and while no injuries were reported the incident has BFES reminding residents to stay fire safe while in the kitchen.
Here are some kitchen safety tips from the Ontario Fire Marshal that can help prevent fires and keep your loved ones safe:
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking and turn the stove completely off if you must leave
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot
- Never throw water on a burning pot
- Keep anything that burns – plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels – a safe distance from the stove
- Cook responsibly. To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You are not alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs
- Wear tight-fitted clothing or roll up your sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire
- Keep young kids one metre away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge so pots can’t easily be knocked off
- If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention
For more fire prevention and safety tips click here.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising
— Brampton Fire & Emergency Services (@BramptonFireES) October 3, 2023