Federal government investing nearly $7 million in stem cell research
The federal government recently announced their intention to invest $6.9 million in stem cell research.
Stem cells are the building blocks of the body, and are responsible for growing and repairing tissue; they have the potential to treat a myriad of illnesses including heart disease—the leading cause of death in North America.
Canada has been one of the leading countries when it comes to stem cell research, and Canadian researchers have brought stem cells from the lab into hospitals to save countless lives.
This funding will go towards nine translational projects and four clinical trials across the country aimed at providing new therapies and fostering continued growth in Canada’s regenerative medicine sector.
Two of the projects are being conducted by the Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital in Quebec; one trial involves testing a promising new protocol to make blood stem cell transplants available to more patients with severe leukemia, the other is a biotechnology partnership that is advancing a stem cell-based approach to vision loss.
“When we invest in science, we invest in better, healthier lives for everyone,” Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Industry, said in a news release.
“Our government’s support will help Canadian researchers further their ground-breaking work to tackle some of the most serious illnesses we face today. Congratulations to all of the recipients, and thank you for your work to keep Canada on the cutting edge of discovery and innovation,” he continued.
- Mississauga Student Awarded Largest Canadian Undergrad Scholarship for STEM
- Consider releasing some inmates to stem COVID-19 in prisons, minister requests
- Orlando Corporation Donates $7 Million to Cancer Research Centre at UTM
- Canadian research officials return from Geneva with plan to tackle coronavirus
- Federal government providing $2.5 million to help cities go green
- HBC sues landlord of Square One, Yorkdale claiming failure to run ‘first class’ malls
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – October 27
- Ontario player wins Saturday’s $14.2 million Lotto 649 jackpot
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – October 27