Extreme Cold Weather Warning Issued for Mississauga
If there was any doubt that winter is coming, tonight's frigid temperatures will make that more than apparent.
The City of Mississauga just issued its first extreme cold weather alert of the season.
According to a recent Environment Canada forecast, temperatures in Mississauga are set to hit -12 tonight, but will feel like -20 with the wind chill.
According to Environment Canada, residents can expect high winds and a very cold afternoon (not to mention a brutally cold night).
There's also a 60 per cent chance of flurries this evening.
So, what are some good cold weather tips to keep in mind?
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Plan ahead by checking the weather forecast before heading out.
- Dress to suit the weather. Wear multiple layers of loose fitting clothes, (including a hat, scarf and mittens) and cover up as much exposed skin as possible.
- Drink warm fluids but avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages as they cause your body to lose heat more rapidly.
- Reschedule or plan outdoor activities for another day.
Residents should also note that frigid temperatures are also unsafe for animals, so all pets should be kept inside as much as possible.