Extended heat warning issued in Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills
Published August 23, 2021 at 10:56 am
The heat is on in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Halton Hills.
An extended heat warning by Halton Region has been issued starting Monday.
A Heat Warning is issued when forecast temperatures are expected to be above at least 31 degrees Celsius and overnight temperatures are above 20 degrees Celsius for two days or the humidex is at least 40 for two days.
The extreme heat and humidity is a potential danger to all and factors such as obesity, dehydration, fever, infection, sunburn and alcohol abuse can increase risk.
To prevent heat illness:
- Pay close attention to how you feel while outside in the heat
- Check-in regularly, by phone or video, with vulnerable family, friends and neighbours, especially older adults who live on their own to make sure they are staying cool and hydrated to make sure that they are staying cool and hydrated.
- Plan outdoor activities during cooler parts of the day
- Close awnings and curtains to block out the sun
- Avoid sun exposure. Wear a wide-brimmed hat or use an umbrella.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing made of breathable fabric
- Drink plenty of cool liquids, especially water before you feel thirsty
- Prepare meals that do not require cooking in the oven
- Take cool showers or baths
- Never leave people or pets in a parked vehicle
Cooling stations are available across the region. A reminder that some of the locations that normally provide relief such as libraries and community centres may not yet be open due to COVID-19 restrictions:
- Trafalgar Park Community Centre: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. any day
- Glen Abbey library branch: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday
- Iroquois Ridge library branch: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday
- Central Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- Aldershot Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- Alton Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- Brant Hills Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- New Appleby Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- Tansley Woods Branch: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the heat warning
- Halton Hills Public Library and Culture Centre (Georgetown and Acton): During heat warnings they are open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- See https://www.milton.ca/en/index.aspx
For more information, visit https://www.halton.ca/For-Residents/Environmental-Health/Outdoor-Air-Quality/Heat-Warningsinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising