Exciting Solar Event Will be Visible From Mississauga Today
Step outside and look up at the night sky this week - something very special is about to happen and it’ll be visible from Mississauga!
According to NASA, we’re about to have the closest view of Mars since 2003, when Mars made its closest approach in 60,000 years.
Mars is set to appear the brightest it’s been in the past 15 years from July 27-30, 2018.
And, the red planet’s close approach is slated for July 31, 2018.
What does a close approach entail?
“That is the point in Mars’ orbit when it comes closest to Earth,” reads NASA’s website.
“Mars will be at a distance of 35.8 million miles (57.6 million kilometers). Mars reaches its highest point around midnight — about 35 degrees above the southern horizon, or one third of the distance between the horizon and overhead. Mars will be visible for much of the night.”
According to NASA, Mars will become more faint by mid-August. That’s when Mars and Earth will move farther away from each other in their orbits around the Sun.
You’ll want to catch this exciting event - the next Mars close approach is slated for October 6, 2020. But, it won’t be as nearly as close as it was in 2003 until the year 2287, according to NASA.
But this year’s close approach will be comparable.
“When Mars and Earth are close to each other, Mars appears very bright in our sky,” reads NASA’s website.
“It also makes it easier to see with telescopes or the naked eye. The Red Planet comes close enough for exceptional viewing only once or twice every 15 or 17 years.”
Enjoy the view!
- A Major Lunar Eclipse Event Will be Visible From Mississauga This Month
- View the Partial Solar Eclipse From Mississauga Today
- A film that is "Out There" needs a Kickstart
- Brightest Comet in Years Will be Visible From Mississauga
- This is your last chance to see a once-in-a-lifetime comet in Mississauga
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- VIDEO: All lanes blocked on Hwy 401 due to multiple vehicles pile up in Mississauga
- Costco scam targeting residents in Mississauga and Brampton
- Mississauga, Brampton to lift restrictions once Ontario's COVID numbers are "well below" 1,000 daily cases
- 32-hour all night marathon vaccination event coming to Mississauga with special guests