Event calling for protection for renters scheduled for Mississauga
A drive aimed at increasing protections for tenants will be taking place in Mississauga on Saturday, March 27.
Peel ACORN recently announced that it's launching its Mississauga RentSafe Petitioning Drive tomorrow.
The drive, which will raise awareness about ACORN Canada's call for a RentSafe program for Mississauga, will be held at the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas, next to the transit shelter area.
Last month, ACORN Canada said that Mississauga tenants in multi-unit-buildings have reported such problems as poor heating, pests, mould, no outdoor lighting, accessibility issues, unfulfilled maintenance requests and more.
The organization says the current by-law system is not effective and that large landlords need to be licenced.
"Enforcement of Mississauga Property Standards needs to effectively hold landlords accountable so that tenants can live in safe and healthy homes!," ACORN wrote in a news release.
The Peel arm of ACORN has asked Mississauga council to create an enhanced by-law system modelled after Toronto's RentSafe: Landlord Licensing program.
"This would create real landlord accountability," ACORN said.
ACORN says there will be signs, flags, and a table set up for the public to sign a petition at tomorrow's event.
The event will run from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Mississauga considering implementing more vigorous apartment inspection program
- Mississauga could start inspecting apartments following horrifying complaints from tenants
- Doug Ford urging commercial property landlords not to evict tenants during COVID-19
- Landlords protesting inability to evict problematic tenants
- Game-Changing New Eviction Rules in Place to Protect Tenants in Mississauga
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga