Elective surgeries cancelled, Brampton hospital nears breaking point as COVID surges
Published December 21, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Brampton Civic Hospital has been cancelling elective surgeries as the surge in COVID-19 cases stretches hospital resources.
Speaking at Premier Doug Ford’s press conference today, the head of the William Osler Health System backed that latest lockdown measures saying that the situation at the hospital is nearing the breaking point.
“Last week, for the second time this month, Osler had to reduce surgical capacity at Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General,” said Dr. Naveed Mohammad, president of Osler which oversees hospital services in Brampton and at Etobicoke General Hospital. “This means postponing some elective scheduled surgeries, non-urgent minor procedures and diagnostic imaging until a later time.”
Dr. Mohammad said while cancelling these procedures helps redirect staff to areas of the hospital with the greatest need, it is not enough to get through the increasing number of COVID cases. He said Osler is currently dealing with 147 patients with the virus.
“We recognize that without stronger public health measures we will continue to see a steady increase in hospitalizations and admissions into intensive care,’ he said. “And we know that our ability to continue to provide safe patient care is at great risk.”
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!