Effort made to save historic house in Mississauga from demolition

By

Published April 19, 2023 at 12:39 pm

Mississauga councillors are considering a motion to save an historic home in the south end of the city from the wrecker’s ball.

The current owner of the property known as the Henry Clarkson House, located at 1141 Clarkson Rd. N., has applied to the City of Mississauga to demolish the house to make way for a larger development.

In her motion to save the home, Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish, a member of the City’s heritage advisory committee, notes that the development concept being considered “merely replicates some features of the heritage house.”

The motion before City council opposes any demolition of the Henry Clarkson House and recommends that “the current structure be incorporated into any new proposed development.”

In 1856, Henry Shook Clarkson was given just over 42 acres of land in the area located south of the railway tracks by his father, Warren.

Two years later, he left for a job in Minnesota, but returned in 1860 and built the house after marrying Sarah Moseley. The couple had a daughter, Mildred, and the family lived in the home for many years.

Henry Clarkson continued to live there with Sarah until his death in 1901. She died in 1918.

The City notes that the original part of the home as it stands today was built in the Southern Ontario gothic style.

Mississauga’s heritage advisory committee is recommending designation of the house under the Ontario Heritage Act for its “associative and contextual value.”

(Photos: City of Mississauga)

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising