Durham Police issue alert after stolen vehicles spike from Clarington to Ajax
Published November 3, 2022 at 9:59 pm
Durham Police have issued a crime alert after a record 133 vehicles were stolen in the region last month.
Police have also offered a handful of tips on how to prevent your car or truck from ending up in a criminal’s hands.
- #1. Always LOCK your vehicle. “It’s one of the quickest and easiest ways to deter thieves,” said Sgt. Joanne Bortoluss of the DRPS.
- #2. Consider an anti-theft device
- #3. Don’t store your keys by your front door
- #4. Never leave your keys in your vehicle or outside your home
- #5. Always park in a well-lit area or garage
So far in 2022 there have been 814 reported thefts – 211 more incidents than this time last year and well on the way to record-breaking year.
Durham Police issued a similar alert in June after vehicle thefts spiked 48 per cent in the first five months of the year, mirrowing a trend seen across the GTA. Two weeks ago three trucks – all Dodge Rams – were stolen in a 24-hour period in Clarington and Oshawa.
CRIME ALERT: VEHICLE THEFTS
October was the highest month yet this year for vehicle thefts with 133 incidents reported. So far in 2022, there have been 814 reported thefts – 211 more incidents than this time last year.
Here are the top five tips to help protect your vehicle. pic.twitter.com/NGE0rvIIEW
— Durham Regional Police (@DRPS) November 3, 2022