Doner kebab chain opens Mississauga location
A doner kebab chain with a Quebec influence has opened a location in Mississauga.
Champion Doner Kebab is serving a German-Turkish halal menu at a location at 2555 Dixie Rd., near Dundas Street. The new store opened June 8. The chain’s other Southern Ontario location is in Vaughan.
Doner kebab, according to Wikipedia, is a forerunner to donairs, gyros and shawarma. Like shawarma, the meat is sliced thinly from a vertical rotisserie grill, and can be part of a pita, flatbread sandwich or plate, sometimes on top of of bed of fries. Meats and vegetables can also be place on a pide, which is a boat-shaped flatbread.
Doner kebab is one of Germany’s most popular street foods.
Prices for a plate start at $10.95 for falafel and range up to $16.95 for the iskender plate.
The chain opened its first store in Montreal in 1995 and has nine locations in Quebec. As a tribute to its Canadian launch point, Champion Doner Kebab also serves a “MTL Plate” which combines doner kebab, cheese and fries, somewhat like poutine.
I just had Champion Doner. New location located at Dixie and Dundas in Mississauga. Get the chicken sandwich and beef box with fries and all the sauces. Quality and full of flavour.— Cyrus K. Cooper (@cyrus_cooper) June 16, 2021
It can be followed on Instagram at @championdoner.
(Photo via Champion Doner.)
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?
- Popular breakfast and lunch restaurant opening new location in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Special weather statement: Heavy rainfall in Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton