Don Cherry fired from Hockey Night in Canada
Hockey commentator Don Cherry was fired Monday (Nov. 11) by Sportsnet following his now infamous rant about Canadian newcomers on Hockey Night in Canada over the weekend.
Sportsnet confirmed that following “discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down.”
Joe Warmington, the Toronto Sun columnist who first reported the firing, said in one of his tweets announcing the firing that Cherry felt “quite hurt they would do this on Remembrance Day of all days.”
Statement from Sportsnet: pic.twitter.com/LRKrww0AQ1— Sportsnet PR (@SportsnetPR) November 11, 2019
On Saturday, just a couple days before Remembrance Day, Cherry appeared on the show during his regular Coach’s Corner segment and criticized newcomers to Canada who he says don’t wear poppies to honour the country’s veterans.
“You people […] you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” he said.
“These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price.”
Cherry also remarked that he rarely sees people wearing poppies in Mississauga, where he lives, and in downtown Toronto.
His statements quickly caused backlash among the community, causing even Mississauga mayor Bonnie Crombie to address it on Twitter.
“For [Don Cherry] to say that “you people” do not respect Canada or our veterans is despicable,” Crombie said. “We’re proud of diverse cultural heritage and we’ll always stand up for it.”
The outraged sparked by Cherry’s comments on Saturday prompted Sportsnet and Coaches Corner host Ron Maclean to issue apologies over the rant.
Cherry has yet to make any response to the anger his words have sparked.
Photo courtesy Hockey Night in Canada Facebook page
- Exciting Christmas Events are Coming to a Huge Entertainment Facility
- Here's what you need to know about the new regulations for airlines
- Police looking for armed suspects following bank robbery in Mississauga
- Some snow is in the forecast for Mississauga
- Mississauga advising residents to exercise caution with ridesharing services
- Mississauga mayor Bonnie Crombie lashes out at Don Cherry's "You people" comment
- UPDATE: Coach's Corner host Ron MacLean apologizes for Don Cherry's controversial remarks
- Former Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion set to support pro-Don Cherry Rally
- VIDEO: Ron MacLean's speech on the controversy and end of Coach's Corner
- Cherry Blossom Trees To Reach Peak Bloom Next Week