Do You Want to Create a Massive Art Project for Mississauga?
Late last week, Mississauga-Malton MP Navdeep Bains announced (on behalf Melanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage) that Mississauga will receive $199,000 in funding for Brilliance Together, the city's program that will mark Canada's 150th anniversary.
The funding will be used to support community initiatives designed to give over 25,000 Canadians opportunities to celebrate the significant anniversary. During the course of the celebration, Canadians will be invited to not only celebrate, but also share their stories and reflect on the importance of reconciliation with Indigenous communities.
As part of the Brilliance Together program, the city will reach out to national artists to commission a permanent public art piece that will sit at Celebration Square. The piece will have to focus on themes of diversity, inclusion and reconciliation with Indigenous people.
"Public art brings people together and will help enrich our growing, thriving and popular downtown core," said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. "This funding will go toward commissioning artwork that will have a permanent home at Celebration Square. Celebration Square is in the heart of Mississaugafor a reason. It's where residents come together to share and celebrate their culture for everyone to experience, appreciate and enjoy. This new artwork is another important way the city of Mississauga will recognize the 150th anniversary of our nation's founding."
The art project will be unveiled in the fall of 2017 as part of Mississauga's year-long celebration.
In terms of other related activities and celebration, the city is planning to:
- Create digital presence for activities
- Hold a launch and unveiling event at Mississauga Celebration Square
- Host an event featuring Indigenous storytelling, celebration, and a walk
- Erect an onsite video booth, with facilitator, to document Mississauga's stories
- Engage Canadians and newcomers on issues of identity and culture through public discussion forums, workshops and activities
- Provide opportunities for over 25,000 Canadians to come together and celebrate shared culture and experiences.
So, are you interested in creating a permanent work of art for the city's most famous square?
- Something Very Unique is Coming to Celebration Square
- Something Unique is About to be Unveiled at Celebration Square in Mississauga
- A Long-Weekend Event is Coming to Celebration Square in Mississauga
- New Public Art Piece Unveiled at Mississauga Celebration Square
- Huge Halloween Event Coming to Celebration Square in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Boeing 737 Max's very first flight after two deadly crashes takes off from Pearson
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- Paramedics responding after vehicle crashes into Mississauga residence
- New Jollibee restaurant opens at Square One in Mississauga
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win