Do This Before Having a Campfire in Milton

Published May 30, 2018 at 1:23 am

Who doesn’t love the smell of a campfire in the summer?

Who doesn’t love the smell of a campfire in the summer? Sitting around the campfire with your family roasting marshmallows has got to be one of the most nostalgic things for lots of Canadians. 

But with the arrival of warmer weather, the Milton Fire Department is reminding everyone planning to have a campfire that they need to obtain a burn permit.

Fires which need a burn permit include backyard chimineas and outdoor fireplaces.

Open air burning is legal in the Town of Milton as long as the by-law is followed and you have a burn permit.

Permits are valid for the year they are issued; without a permit, fines can be more than $1,000.

“The spring and summer season brings more opportunities for outdoor activities like open air burning,” said Dave Pratt, Fire Chief of the Milton Fire Department. “The Open Air Burning Bylaw ensures residents are participating in these activities in a responsible and accountable manner. We cannot stress enough the importance of being safe when lighting and extinguishing fires.”

The Milton Fire Department is urging all potential permit applicants to watch the safety video on their website and also asks residents to respect the comfort of their neighbours.

Permits are available for three types of open air burning.

Outdoor Fire Container Permits are the kind that most homeowners will be looking for and they cover chimineas and outdoor fireplaces.

Brush Fire Permits are for larger fires that need more safety clearance. Agricultural Lands Permits deal with burning fields for crop maintenance.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising