Did You Know? Mississauga Has the Same Population As...
Although it’s often repeated that Mississauga is Canada’s sixth largest city, it’s easy to dismiss it as something of an overgrown (and overflowing) bedroom community — especially if you don’t live here.
Once a suburb, always a suburb.
Or is it?
Although one could probably concede that Mississauga can still be defined as something of a suburban satellite city, it’s impossible (and inaccurate) to classify it as quaint or quiet or small. With a population of 721,599 people and several grand-scale urbanization projects moving forward (M City, Inspiration Lakeview, etc.), it’s safe to say that Mississauga is, in fact, a big city — albeit one that’s still developing its identity.
If you look at Mississauga’s population, you’ll see what we house almost the same number of people as world famous cities.
In fact, here’s a list of cities with similar populations to ours (often lower!), based on 2015 and 2016 estimates:
1) Edmonton (932,546)
2) Winnipeg (663,617)
1) Seattle, Washington (684,451)
2) Denver, Colorado (682,545)
3) El Paso, Texas (681,124)
4) Detroit, Michigan (677,116)
5) Washington, D.C. (672,228)
6) Boston (667,137)
7) Memphis (655,770)
8) Nashville (654,610)
9) Portland (632,309)
10) Oklahoma City (631,346)
11) Las Vegas (623,747)
12) Baltimore (621,849)
1) Zagreb, Croatia (790,017)
2) Valencia, Spain (786,189)
3) Leeds, U.K. (774,060)
4) Krakow, Poland (761,069)
5) Frankfurt, Germany (732,688)
So, there you have it! We may not be as much of a household name as Leeds or Frankfurt or Boston, but we have almost as many (and sometimes more) people.
It really puts things into perspective.
We’re bigger than we think.
- Mississauga's MiWay Bus System Compared to Other Cities
- What is the Least Safe City in Canada?
- Mississauga's Population Growth Slows to a Crawl
- Another Canadian City is Attempting to Lure People Away from Mississauga and Surrounding Cities
- FIFA visits Toronto this week to hold 2026 World Cup candidate city workshops
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton