COVID outbreak sends 350 workers home at Mississauga's Gateway facility that will disrupt mail service across Canada
Mail delivery across Canada is expected to be delayed because of the impact of COVID-19 at the Gateway postal facility in Mississauga.
A statement released by Canada Post confirms the disruption of service as a result of an entire shift of workers sent home as COVID-19 spreads through the Dixie Rd. plant.
"Given the significance of the Gateway facility, we are evaluating and adapting our existing contingency plans to manage the impact on customers," reads the statement. "More details will be available soon. At this point, customers can expect shipping delays."
Gateway is Canada's largest mail sorting station and depot and handles about 70 per cent of all packages mailed through Canada Post.
Last week it was revealed that almost 200 workers at the facility have tested positive for COVID-19. Subsequently, an entire shift of workers that may have been exposed to the virus - almost 350 people - have been sent home.
"(Peel) Public Health says this is the most effective way to contain further spread at this stage," the statement continues.
Canada Post says customers can check the latest shipping status of some packages at canadapost.ca.
- BREAKING: Canada Post employee dies of COVID-19 following massive outbreak at Mississauga Gateway facility
- Canada Post workers self-isolating after outbreak at facility in Mississauga
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility
- 121 workers at Mississauga's Gateway postal facility test positive for COVID-19
- All employees must now be tested at Canada Post facility in Mississauga as COVID-19 outbreak grows
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Mississauga residents 80 and older can now book their vaccines
- Region of Peel calls flyer asking Mississauga parents to completely isolate their COVID-positive children a “mistake”
- Special weather statement in effect for Mississauga and Brampton