COVID Alert exposure app hits over one million downloads
Health Canada’s COVID Alert app, which was designed to help curb the spread of COVID-19, has officially been downloaded by over a million people.
The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) took to Twitter earlier today to announce that the app hit 1.1 million downloads.
“You never cease to amaze us, Canada! Thanks to you, we’re closer to slowing the spread of COVID-19,” said the CDS.
The app works by notifying users if someone they were near in the past two weeks tells the app they tested positive for COVID-19, using Bluetooth to exchange random codes with nearby phones.
“Several times a day, COVID Alert checks a list of codes from people who tell the app they tested positive. You’ll get a notification if a code you received matches one of the positive codes,” according to the app’s description in the app store.
It allegedly does not use or access location data, the app description states.
The app is available on Apple and Android devices.
Have you downloaded or are planning to download the app?
1.1 million downloads of COVID Alert exposure notification app! You never cease to amaze us, Canada!— Canadian Digital Service (CDS) (@CDS_GC) August 3, 2020
Thanks to you, we’re closer to slowing the spread of #COVID19.
Download it today:
- Apple: https://t.co/2ZiVeo8psX
- Android: https://t.co/RgLKVGzoGP pic.twitter.com/VbVEUopCv3
- Health Canada announces changes to COVID Alert app
- No Frills location in Brampton reports worker has tested positive for COVID-19
- Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility
- Grocery store employee in Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19
- An employee at a Shoppers Drug Mart location in Mississauga has tested positive for COVID-19
- Driver flees on foot after rollover crash with critical injuries in Mississauga
- Police investigating after store robbed at knifepoint in Brampton
- Driver caught going almost double the speed limit in Milton
- Suspects sought after one male stabbed, another assaulted in Mississauga
- Driver arrested after crashing into a tree in Mississauga