COVID-19: Ontario reports 554 new cases, 79 of those in Peel
Ontario is reporting an increase of 554 cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday (Sept. 29), and four deaths related to the virus.
The total number of COVID-19 cases is up to 51,085 and 2,844 virus-related deaths.
This comes a day after the province reported a record daily increase of 700 confirmed cases.
Meanwhile, the number of resolved cases is up by 323, bringing that total to 43,450.
The province is reporting that nearly 38,400 COVID-19 tests were completed.
Ontario's COVID-19 'hotspots' continue to drive up the numbers, with Toronto reporting 251 new cases, Ottawa reporting 106 and the Peel Region confirming 79 new cases.
The York Region is also seeing a slight uptick in the number of newly confirmed cases with 43 Tuesday and 56 on Monday.
Health Minister Christine Elliott Tweeted Tuesday morning that 62 per cent of new cases are in people under the age of 40.
Across the province, there are currently 137 people hospitalized with the virus, with 30 being treated in the ICU and 16 on ventilators.
The province is also reporting 64 new COVID-19 cases related to schools, including at least 37 among students.
Those bring the number of schools with a reported case to 250 out of Ontario's 4,828 publicly-funded schools.
-- with a file and photo from The Canadian Press
- COVID-19: Ontario sets record in number of new cases, 111 of those in Peel
- Ontario reporting 827 new cases of COVID-19 today, 169 new cases in Peel
- Ontario reports 821 new COVID-19 cases, 136 new cases in Peel
- Ontario officials report 425 new COVID-19 cases, 31 new cases reported in Mississauga
- Ontario reports 2,417 new cases of COVID-19 and 102 more deaths related to the virus
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- PHOTOS: A look inside a mass vaccination clinic in Mississauga
- UPDATE: Missing 13-year-old girl located in good health
- Oakville man caught speeding twice in 11 minutes
- Construction coming to busy GO Station and street to make way for Hurontario LRT in Mississauga