COVID-19 case reported at Mississauga public school
In a letter to staff and families, Briarwood Public School in Mississauga confirmed a recent case of COVID-19 within the school.
An individual who was in the school building on Tuesday, September 1 has since tested positive for the virus, according to Principal Tanis Mcneely.
“We know that news of COVID-19 can create feelings of anxiousness, and so we wanted to make sure you had this information as soon as possible to help alleviate concerns,” said Mcneely. “I know this is hard to hear with school so close to starting.”
The school has reached out to Peel Public Health, who is investigating where the individual went while infectious and who their contacts were. Anyone identified as a contact will be directly reached out to and given guidance.
Mcneely says the school has been cleaned several times since September 1 as part of its regular daily cleaning procedures, and another cleaning will be done to get the building ready for the start of school.
The identity of the individual who tested positive for COVID-19 is protected under privacy legislation.
“I know this may frustrate you, but you would want this privacy if it was someone in your family. Everyone deserves the same protection,” Mcneely said.
More information on how Peel Public Health is working with the Peel board to help keep staff and students safe can be found at Peel Public Health’s website.
- One Mississauga school and one daycare have confirmed COVID-19 cases
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 24
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- Male shot in Mississauga, taken to trauma centre
- Police advising motorists to watch out for rogue cow in Milton
- Mangoes recalled from stores in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario due to Hepatitis A
- One arrested after loaded firearm found in Brampton
- Suspect on the run after early morning stabbing in Oakville