Courtice man killed, five firefighters hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak near Cobourg
Published February 15, 2022 at 4:53 pm
A man from Courtice is dead and five firefighters are in hospital after exposure to carbon monoxide in Hamilton Township near Cobourg.
Northumberland OPP attended a home in the township around 2 p.m. February 14 after a report of an unresponsive man found in a building.
Five firefighters attempted a medical rescue of the man. Each of them along with the man in the building were taken to hospital.
The man, identified as Duane Pitchforth, 57 of Courtice, was pronounced dead in hospital. A later autopsy found his cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) were notified and are investigating. All five firefighters were later released from hospital.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising