Couple saved from fire at vacant Niagara Falls motel

By

Published February 23, 2022 at 5:09 pm

The Niagara Falls Fire Department made an early morning save today (Feb. 23), rescuing a couple who were found living in a now-vacant motel.

The firefighters were called to the former The America’s Hospitality Inn on Lundy’s Lane around 7:10 am when a first floor room was completely engulfed in flames.

Searching the entire motel, they found a couple in bed on the second floor directly above the raging fire who had no idea it was even happening. They were brought out and treated for smoke inhalation.

The motel had caught attention earlier this year as a handful of people were found living it, despite the fact it was closed.

At the time, Niagara Falls Fire Chief Jo Zambito said due to a lack of hydro, the structure had previously been deemed uninhabitable by a fire marshal.

Niagara fire officials believe a candle or flame that was possibly being used for heat caused the fire.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising