Could More Mississauga Schools be Closing Soon?
For the past few years, school closures have been a contentious topic for the Peel District School Board, as some long-standing academic institutions (such as Gordon Graydon Secondary School in Mississauga) have been selected for closure due to low pupil involvement.
Well, it appears school closures are a reality for other parts of Ontario,
According to a recent Canadian Press article, Ontario Education Minister Mitzie Hunter recently said that 300 schools across the province are at risk of closure.
The CP reports that the Progressive Conservatives have called for a moratorium on school closures and a "review of the guidelines that determine which schools get put on the chopping block.” The article also points out that the NDP said that current guidelines fail to account for extra activities at the threatened schools, such as adult classes and child-care programs.
Hunter says there are 43 reviews currently involving 300 schools underway.
We will keep you posted as details on the potentially affected schools become available.
- BREAKING UPDATE: Alleged Killer of 11-Year-Old Girl in Hospital with Gunshot Wound
- What's Open and Closed Family Day in Mississauga
- Kale Salad Product Recalled in Mississauga Due to Possible Contamination
- Here's How You Can Get Free Gas in Mississauga
- Significant Snowfall in the Forecast for Mississauga