Could More Mississauga Schools be Closing Soon?
For the past few years, school closures have been a contentious topic for the Peel District School Board, as some long-standing academic institutions (such as Gordon Graydon Secondary School in Mississauga) have been selected for closure due to low pupil involvement.
Well, it appears school closures are a reality for other parts of Ontario,
According to a recent Canadian Press article, Ontario Education Minister Mitzie Hunter recently said that 300 schools across the province are at risk of closure.
The CP reports that the Progressive Conservatives have called for a moratorium on school closures and a "review of the guidelines that determine which schools get put on the chopping block.” The article also points out that the NDP said that current guidelines fail to account for extra activities at the threatened schools, such as adult classes and child-care programs.
Hunter says there are 43 reviews currently involving 300 schools underway.
We will keep you posted as details on the potentially affected schools become available.
- Meeting About Possible Closure of Gordon Graydon School in Mississauga Coming Up
- Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School Could Close
- One-day strike will cause Peel board secondary school closures next week
- Mississauga School Closures to Take Note of Due to Severe Weather
- School board responds to report about lead levels in drinking water in Mississauga schools
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- Man delivering food in Mississauga robbed: Peel Police
- Two Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins
- Change coming to waste collection in Mississauga this month
- A west coast burger joint just opened in Mississauga