Could More Mississauga Schools be Closing Soon?
For the past few years, school closures have been a contentious topic for the Peel District School Board, as some long-standing academic institutions (such as Gordon Graydon Secondary School in Mississauga) have been selected for closure due to low pupil involvement.
Well, it appears school closures are a reality for other parts of Ontario,
According to a recent Canadian Press article, Ontario Education Minister Mitzie Hunter recently said that 300 schools across the province are at risk of closure.
The CP reports that the Progressive Conservatives have called for a moratorium on school closures and a "review of the guidelines that determine which schools get put on the chopping block.” The article also points out that the NDP said that current guidelines fail to account for extra activities at the threatened schools, such as adult classes and child-care programs.
Hunter says there are 43 reviews currently involving 300 schools underway.
We will keep you posted as details on the potentially affected schools become available.
- Meeting About Possible Closure of Gordon Graydon School in Mississauga Coming Up
- Brampton schools reporting 165 COVID-19 cases, six school closures
- Public and Catholic School boards in Mississauga and Brampton calling for closure of schools
- Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School Could Close
- Mississauga schools reporting 147 COVID-19 cases, 10 school closures
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- VIDEO: All lanes blocked on Hwy 401 due to multiple vehicles pile up in Mississauga
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Provinces look to mix COVID-19 vaccines in light of changing supply
- Mississauga, Brampton to lift restrictions once Ontario's COVID numbers are "well below" 1,000 daily cases