Could a New University Be Coming to Ontario?
There's a chance a new university might be coming to Ontario in the future!
On Thursday, September 5, Ministers Romano and Mulroney issued a statement in regards to a university for French-speaking Ontarians.
The statement read: "Our government recognizes the exceptional contribution of the Francophone community to the province's social, cultural and economic development. We also recognize the importance of a university governed by -- and for -- francophones in Ontario. We want to ensure French-speaking students can count on an efficient, cost-effective and sustainable postsecondary education system that is aligned with labour market needs."
The statement continued on how the province continues to negotiate with the federal government and the university on costing and planning.
"We are pleased to see our message is finally being received by the federal government," read the statement. "In fact, we welcomed a memorandum of understanding from the federal government this week and we are keen to conclude a joint funding agreement to implement the Universite de l'Ontario francais"
The ministers hope the federal government will mobilize its resources to make a financial commitment to the project.
This would allow the provincial government to move forward with a collaborate on the implementation of Universite de l'Ontario francais.
"We will continue to take the necessary steps to strengthen the vitality of the Francophone community by providing better French-language services and enhanced access to quality post-secondary education in French," the statement concluded.
What do you think about a French university coming to Ontario?
- Amazing Aerial Shots of Mississauga From The 70s
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of stolen tractor-trailer smashing into a gas station and vehicles in Mississauga
- Bonus House of the Week: Iconic and Mysterious Castle House in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents celebrating group lotto win
- Police searching for missing nine-year-old boy from Mississauga
- Could the First French Language University in Ontario be in Mississauga?
- Province pledges to provide more funding to Francophone communities in Mississauga
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- The Province and the federal government are teaming up to provide more affordable housing to Ontarians
- Ontario announces council to improve provincial-federal relations