Could a New Entertainment Experience be Coming to Mississauga?
Do you like movies, games, and fun new technology?
If you answered “yes,” you might be excited to know about this brand new virtual reality experience that IMAX and Cineplex just launched. And if they’ve launched it in one movie theatre chances are, if it’s a success, they might launch it in others, too.
The new IMAX Virtual Reality (VR) Centre (a.k.a. “The Centre”) is a first of its kind virtual reality experience in Canada, and it just opened at the Scotiabank Theatre in downtown Toronto, smack amidst the lobby.
According to a recent statement from Cineplex, The Centre goes big on “immersive, multi-dimensional, virtual reality experiences, including movie entertainment content and games.”
That’s right - movies and games all in one glorious VR escape.
The Centre features 10 futuristic pods and even a Players’ Lounge. In the pods, you can enjoy interactive and movable VR experiences in a “social environment” with experiences that can be single- or multi-user.
In terms of the headset technology, the experiences has 360-degree sound and sophisticated room tracking.
Each multi-dimensional experiences ranges from even to 15 minutes in length, and some of the experiences that are coming to the technology include Ubisoft’s Star Trek: Bridge Crew Rescue at Perseph, Skydance’s Archangel and Justice League: An IMAX VR Exclusive.
“We are excited to be launching Canada’s first IMAX VR Centre at such an iconic location as the Scotiabank Theatre Toronto with our longstanding partner, Cineplex,” said Mark Welton, President, IMAX Theatres. “Together, we look forward to ushering in the next evolution of immersive entertainment and bringing the highly social and interactive IMAX VR experience to audiences in Toronto.”
IMAX VR has already launched in Toronto, but it might get you thinking - is this concept coming to theatres outside of Toronto, too?
The answer is yes! At least, Ottawa is getting a D-BOX VR setup in the near future.
Whether or not IMAX will bring this VR concept to our city next remains to be seen.
In the meantime, if you want to head to Toronto and check it out, click here.
- One-of-a-Kind Virtual Reality Experience Coming to Square One in Mississauga
- Massive theatre and entertainment complex coming to Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- Ride-like features coming to multiple Cineplex locations
- Mississauga’s First Ever Virtual Reality Arcade is Now Open
- Huge Changes Possible for Mississauga Movie Theatres
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant