Corrections officer from Brampton charged with sexual assault
Published April 9, 2021 at 7:00 pm
The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) – Child Abuse and Sexual Assault Unit has charged an Ontario Ministry of Correctional Services Officer in relation to the sexual assault of two female inmates at Vanier Centre for Women in Milton.
Police say on March 8, 2021, the HRPS was made aware of a sexual assault that happened within the correctional facility on March 5, 2021, and began an investigation.
According to police, during the course of the investigation, a second victim was also identified stemming from a separate incident that also occurred within the facility on March 5, 2021.
Police say an arrest warrant was issued and on March 25, 2021, Dwayne Jason Thomas, a 42-year-old from Brampton was arrested.
He has been charged with sexual assault (2 counts) and breach of trust (2 counts), according to police.
Police say Thomas was released on an undertaking.
Investigators believe there may be additional victims.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the Child Abuse and Sexual Assault Unit at 905-825-4777 ext. 8970.
Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca.
Victims of violence and/or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact the Halton Regional Police Service. The following is a list of valuable support services and resources in our region for victims of violence and/or sexual assault:
- Halton Regional Police Service Victim Services Unit 905-825-4777 ext. 5239 or by email at [email protected]
- Nina’s Place Sexual Assault and Domestic Assault Care Centre 905-336-4116 or 905-681-4880
- Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention Services (SAVIS) 905-875-1555 (24-hour crisis line)
- Radius Child & Youth Services 905-825-3242 (Oakville) or 1-855-744-9001
- Kid’s Help Phone 1-800-668-6868 (24-hour crisis line)
- THRIVE Counselling 905-845-3811 or 905-637-5256
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies