Correction: Portuguese restaurant closed in Mississauga after fire

Published May 10, 2023 at 9:52 am

Correction/update: The restaurant was closed due to a fire rather than a failed health inspection, Peel Public Health confirmed as of 12:43 p.m. on Wednesday.

Public Health says the inspection report was posted in error and has since been removed from Peel’s website.

“When a fire occurs in a food premises, we often will close the food premises (situation dependent) because of the fire damage, and the impact it could have on the food inside and the equipment. Heat, water, and the chemicals used in fire suppression can cause a health hazard and so we assess food safety and the inside of the premises,” said Public Health.

“Often because of the damage, there is no electricity which can cause hazards and a lack of refrigeration.  Once the premises is working and it has been cleaned and sanitized, it can be permitted to open.”

The restaurant says it is working to get back up and running as soon as possible.

Rei do Churrasco, located at 2480 Cawthra Rd.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising