City Receives Money to Build Brand New Attractions
It looks like Mississauga is about to welcome a brand new (and timely) attraction.
The City of Mississauga recently announced that was awarded $18,000 by Scotts Canada Limited through the Scotts Miracle-Gro's GRO1000 2018 Garden and Green Space Grant Program.
The money will be used to create pollinator-friendly gardens in Streetsville, Dr. Martin L. Dobkin Community Park and Port Credit.
"Initiatives like this make a positive impact on our environment. Without the assistance of pollinators, most plants are unable to produce fruits and seeds, which are essential food sources for people and wildlife," said Jodi Robillos, acting director, Parks and Forestry.
"We're grateful to Scotts Canada and Communities in Bloom for funding the creation of more pollinator-friendly gardens throughout Mississauga. Our focus remains on building spaces where pollinators, such as bees and butterflies, can improve their health, be active, thrive and encourage the revival of pollinator populations."
The city received the following grants:
- $15,000 for the Streetsville Pollinator Showcase Garden
- $1,500 for the Dr. Martin L. Dobkin Park Pollinator Garden
- $1,500 for the Port Credit Library Pollinator Garden
The city says the gardens will contain perennial flowers and plants to attract butterflies, hummingbirds and other pollinators (so get your camera ready if you're into capturing wildlife in action.
"The last installation of Canadian GRO1000 gardens will happen in Mississauga in spring 2018," said Karen Stephenson, director, regulatory affairs & stakeholder relations at Scotts Canada Limited.
"This will coincide with the 150th anniversary of the founding of Scott Miracle-Gro. We thought it would be fitting to celebrate the last of the Canadian GRO1000 gardens in Mississauga, where our Canadian headquarters is based."
An official event will be organized by the city to celebrate the gardens will take place in late May.
- Massive New Food Delivery Service Has Arrived in Mississauga
- New French Bakery Opens First Mississauga Location
- New Barbershop is a Game Changer in Oakville and Mississauga
- Schools Under Hold and Secure After Gunshots Potentially Fired in Mississauga
- Mick Jagger’s Model Daughter, Georgia May Jagger, Coming to Square One in Mississauga
- Top 5 Places to Check Out Spring Flowers in Mississauga
- The Credit Valley Conservation Receives Funding from City of Mississauga
- Sherway Gardens Plaza Shooting Suspects Abandon Vehicle in Mississauga
- Mississauga is Working Towards Building a More Arts-Friendly City
- Some City Parks Getting Accessibility Makeover