City Receives Funding for New Makerspaces in Mississauga
Here’s some news for anyone interested in how Mississauga is creating accessible resources and technology for the public.
The city recently announced that it has been granted $101,889 in funding which will go towards new “Makerspaces” at Burnhamthorpe Library and Courtneypark Library, as well as a trail expansion at Zonta Meadows Trail.
A Makerspace is described as a dynamic area that provides access to advanced technology and tools, such as robotics, 3D printers, and recording/editing tools for audio and video.
"Our Makerspaces encourage hands-on learning in science, technology, engineering, arts and math," said Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
Here’s a detailed rundown of what you can expect at each area:
- Burnhamthorpe Library Makerspace - Robotics equipment, an iMac computer, design software, and a green screen
- Courtneypark Library Makerspace - A green screen and a recording booth with editing capabilities
- Zonta Meadows Trail - 495 metres of trail will be widened and repaired, including new concrete pads for accessible trail benches
"Exploring do-it-yourself projects in these subject areas fosters problem-solving skills, creativity and design thinking for all ages. These are critical skills in the growth of our local economy and in the development of Mississauga as a smart city."
The funding was awarded through the federal government's Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program (CIP150), which was established to expand and improve community and cultural infrastructure across the country.
"Through investments in our communities, we are demonstrating our commitment to create and support sustainable growth, economic opportunity, and prosperity in Canada," said Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
In total, Mississauga has been provided over $5.7 million in funding through CIP150.
What do you think of these new changes to the city?
- Mississauga Family Seeking Help After Grandmother Suffers a Stroke While on Vacation
- Biggest Japanese Food Festival Happening This Weekend in Mississauga
- Here's Your Chance To Be On Family Feud Canada in Mississauga
- Did You Know You Can't Use Cannabis in These Areas?
- Some New Affordable Housing is Coming to Mississauga