City of Mississauga To Host Tribute to Councillor Jim Tovey
Residents of Mississauga—and Ward 1 in particular—were shocked to learn that City Councillor Jim Tovey passed away suddenly at the age of 68 on Jan. 15.
Tovey, who was born in Victory Village in Mississauga to WWII veteran John Tovey and London-born Joan Munn, was known for being a passionate advocate of the Lakeview community—a neighbourhood he moved to with his wife, Lee, in 1989.
The City of Mississauga recently announced that it will defer the items on the January 17 General Committee Agenda in order to pay tribute to the popular councillor, who had been serving Mississauga since he was first elected to council in 2010.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie and members of council will be on hand to pay tribute to Tovey, and residents are also welcome to say a few words.
"If a member of the public would like to pay tribute to Councillor Tovey, please arrive at council chambers at 9 a.m.," the city wrote in a news release. "All members of the public are welcome to take part in the tribute."
The tribute will take place at the Mississauga Civic Centre in Council Chambers
“Jim was a loving husband to Lee, father to Daniel and a grandfather. He was a friend to all those who met him and the passionate leader of Ward “1-der-ful,” Crombie said in a statement released on Jan. 16. “Jim was a community builder whose legacy will live on through the growth and redevelopment of the waterfront, in particular the revitalization of Port Credit and the development of the Lakeview Lands."
For more info, click here.
- Woman Who Worked in Mississauga Identified as Burlington Murder Victim
- VIDEOS AND PHOTOS: Massive Fire Causes Chaos in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Businesses Evacuated After Fire Breaks Out in Mississauga
- Mississauga Family Seeking Help After Grandmother Suffers a Stroke While on Vacation
- Biggest Japanese Food Festival Happening This Weekend in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Mississauga City Councillor Jim Tovey Dies Suddenly
- New Conservation Area to be Named in Honour of Late Mississauga Councillor Jim Tovey
- New Mississauga Waterfront Area to be Named After Jim Tovey
- Important Mississauga Institution Set to Honour Jim Tovey
- What Happens When a City Councillor Dies in Office?