City of Hamilton halting yard waste collection for several months
Published November 25, 2021 at 10:08 am
As winter approaches, the City of Hamilton announced yard waste collection will be halted, beginning Dec. 6.
Residents who need to dispose of yard waste can bring it free of charge to a Community Recycling Centre. They are open Monday to Saturday, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Curbside collection of yard waste is scheduled to resume in time for spring clean-up on Feb. 28, 2022.
Curbside Christmas tree collection will not be impacted, however. Natural Christmas trees will be collected during the first and second weeks of January on residents’ regular collection days.
The City is reiterating that blue boxes, cardboard boxes, and green bins are not acceptable yard waste containers. Yard waste stickers can be picked up for free at a Municipal Service Centre.
“If using a reusable container to dispose of yard waste, drill holes into the sides and bottom of your container to allow drainage and air circulation,” said a City spokesperson.
It’s also advised to:
- Keep each bag, bundle or container of yard waste under 50-pounds to maintain the safety of waste collection operators.
- Roll bags shut at the top with no branches sticking out.
- Store bags in a dry location until your collection day.
- Branches, sticks and twigs must be tied with string in bundles no longer than 1.2m (4ft) and .75m (2.5ft) in diameter.
- Yard waste is not accepted in the green bin.