City of Hamilton employee facing criminal charges after alleged theft of equipment
Published June 17, 2021 at 3:12 pm
A municipal employee is facing theft charges after allegedly stealing equipment from the City of Hamilton.
The City Auditor’s office made the announcement Thursday (June 17) and says the theft was reported to police by human resources.
The incident was reported as a Serious Matter and is currently under investigation by the Audit, Finance and Administration Committee.
The criteria for the City Auditor reporting a Serious Matter to council are:
- Pose a security threat (e.g. cybersecurity exposure) to the organization’s information systems/hardware/software applications or involves a major privacy breach.
- Threaten public safety.
- Involve potential fraud over $100,000.
- Could have a significant adverse impact on the City’s vulnerable populations.
- Result in an investigation by OCA and referral to the Police.
- In the judgement of the City Auditor are deemed to be of significant risk to the Corporation.
The employee in question was terminated, according to the City.